Title: Research Programmer / Senior Research Programmer- Geography and Geographic Information Science ( A1800336 )
Open Date: 06/04/2018
Close Date: 07/03/2018
The Department of Geography and Geographic Information Science within the School of Earth, Society, and Environment at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is seeking applications for two positions as Research Programmer and/or Senior Research Programmer to design, develop, test, and implement software and interfaces for the CyberGIS Center for Advanced Digital and Spatial Studies (CyberGIS Center hereafter), and play a major role in developing a CyberGIS platform and associated geospatial software and tools with emphasis on computation, performance, and scalability to geospatial big data and complex spatial analysis and modeling.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Design, develop, test and implement software programs for a cyberGIS platform, e.g. online GIS capabilities and geospatial analytics tools based on advanced computing, data, and visualization environments
- Design, implement and test distributed geospatial middleware and Web services to integrate cyberGIS with advanced cyberinfrastructure resources such as supercomputers, clouds, and data computing clusters
- Design, develop and test scalable spatial analysis and modeling algorithms using various parallel computing and data-driven programming models
- Develop cyberinfrastructure-based data services for the management of geospatial big data integration and analytics
- Conduct computational performance profiling, scalability tests, and cyberinfrastructure-based continuous integration of cyberGIS software components
- Produce code repositories, documentation, project reports, and other written materials related to software development
- Provide technical support, training, and guidance to faculty, staff, collaborators and students
- Provide supervision (train, assign/review work, approve time, and set work schedules) for academic hourly and graduate students working on geospatial software engineering.
- Attend, contribute to and present at meetings, conferences, and workshops as a representative of the CyberGIS Center
Required Qualifications both titles
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or engineering, geographic information science, geography, information sciences, or a related field.
- One year or more programming experience with C/C++/Java and scripting language such as Perl, Python, or Shell
- Knowledge and experience in software engineering and team-based software development
Required Qualifications – Senior Research Programmer
- Five years of programming experience
- Managing software development projects and teams
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with researchers
Preferred Experience both titles
- Development experience in commercial and/or open source GIS tools and technologies
- Experience in code management (e.g., git/svn, issue tracking, continuous integration)
- Experience in parallel computing (e.g. MPI, OpenMIP) and/or data-driven programming (e.g. Hadoop, Spark)
- Experience with database systems (e.g. MySQL, MongoDB, or Cassandra) and spatial databases (e.g. PostGIS or ArcSDE)
- Experience with cloud computing (e.g. OpenStack, AWS)
- Experience in programming geospatial visualization tools (e.g. based on Google Earth Engine)
- One year or more experience in system programming in Linux/Unix environment
- Ability to interact with people in a wide range of educational, scientific, and engineering disciplines to advance cyberGIS, cyberinfrastructure, high performance computing and their applications
Salary and Appointment Information
The positions are full-time, benefits-eligible academic professional on a 12-month service basis. Eligibility for benefits are contingent on your citizenship or work authorization. For full details on eligibility requirements for benefits, please reference http://humanresources.illinois.edu/employees/new-hires/benefits.html. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Application Procedures and Deadline Information
To apply, create a candidate profile through https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your application materials: a letter of application and resume/CV in a single pdf. Online application will require names and contact information including email addresses for three professional references. For inquiries about the position and application procedures, contact the Search Committee through Jill Randell at firstname.lastname@example.org. The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
For full consideration, applications must be submitted by July 3, 2018.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University’s commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu